Friday, August 24, 2007

HINDU HOPE PRAYERS

Prayer for Sweetness



May the wind blow sweetness,
the rivers flow sweetness,
the herbs grow sweetness,
for the People of Truth!

Sweet be the night,
sweet the dawn,
sweet be earth's fragrance,
sweet be our Heaven!

May the tree afford us sweetness,
the sun shine sweetness,
our cows yield sweetness --
milk in plenty!


Source: The Rig Vega

Salutation to the Dawn



Look to this day!
For it is life, the very life of life.
In its brief course
Lie all the verities and realities of your existence:
The bliss of growth;
The glory of action;
The splendor of achievement;
For yesterday is but a dream,
And tomorrow is only a vision;
But today, well lived, makes every yesterday
a dream of happiness,
And every tomorrow a vision of hope.


Attributed to Kalidasa | Source: Holistic Living

The Power of Om



Om is the best sound of all the Vedas. It arose from the nectarine essence of the Vedas. May Indra grant me intelligence. May I hold the immortal teaching in my mind. May my body be strong. May my speech be sweet. May I hear a lot of wisdom. O Om, you are the receptacle of the Supreme Truth. Remove the worldly intelligence that is obstructing my knowledge of you!


Translated by Swami Chidananda | Source: Stotra Mâlâ: Selected Hymns, published by Chinmaya Mission

Prayer for Guidance



Let me not wander in vain.
Let me not labor in vain.
Let me not mingle with the prejudiced.
Let me not leave the company of the virtuous.
Let me not fly into anger.
Let me not stray off the path of goodness.
Let me not seek for this day or for the morrow.
Give me such a wealth, O Almighty!


Pattinattar (10th century poet)

No comments: