Friday, August 24, 2007

JEWISH HOPE PRAYERS

Prayer for Difficult Times



Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

I have sworn, and have confirmed it, to observe Thy righteous ordinances.

I am afflicted very much; quicken me, O HaShem, according unto Thy word.

Accept, I beseech Thee, the freewill-offerings of my mouth, O HaShem, and teach me Thine ordinances.

My soul is continually in my hand; yet have I not forgotten Thy law.

The wicked have laid a snare for me; yet went I not astray from Thy precepts.

Thy testimonies have I taken as a heritage for ever; for they are the rejoicing of my heart.

I have inclined my heart to perform Thy statutes, for ever, at every step.


Psalms 119: 105-112 | Source: Tanakh (Jewish Publication Society, 1917); read a Christian translation

In the Day of Trouble



HaShem answer thee in the day of trouble; the name of the G-d of Jacob set thee up on high;

Send forth thy help from the sanctuary, and support thee out of Zion.

We will shout for joy in thy victory, and in the name of our G-d we will set up our standards; HaShem fulfil all thy petitions.

Now know I that HaShem saveth His anointed; He will answer him from His holy heaven with the mighty acts of His saving right hand.


Psalms 20: 1-2; 5-6 | Source: Tanakh (Jewish Publication Society, 1917); read a Christian translation

Prayer for Yom HaShoah (Holocaust Remembrance Day)



Lord, remember not only the men of good will, but also those of ill will. But do not remember all the suffering they have inflicted upon us. Remember rather the fruits we have brought, thanks to this suffering: our comradeship, our loyalty, our humility, the courage, the generosity, the greatness of heart that has grown out of this. And when they come to judgment, let all the fruits we have bourne be their forgiveness.


Source: Found on a scrap of paper at the liberation of Ravensbruck Concentration Camp in Germany

Psalm of Comfort



As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after Thee, O God.

My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: 'When shall I come and appear before God?'

My tears have been my food day and night, while they say unto me all the day: 'Where is Thy God?'

These things I remember, and pour out my soul within me, how I passed on with the throng, and led them to the house of God, with the voice of joy and praise, a multitude keeping holyday.

Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why moanest thou within me? Hope thou in God; for I shall yet praise Him for the salvation of His countenance.


Psalms 42: 2-6 | Source: Tanakh (Jewish Publication Society, 1917); read a Christian translation

Twenty-Third Psalm



HaShem is my shepherd; I shall not want.
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures; He leadeth me beside the still waters.
He restoreth my soul; He guideth me in straight paths for His name's sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for Thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me.
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies; Thou hast anointed my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; and I shall dwell in the house of HaShem for ever.


Psalms 23: 1-6 | Source: Tanakh (Jewish Publication Society, 1917); read a Christian translation

God Is Our Refuge



God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.

Therefore will we not fear, though the earth do change, and though the mountains be moved into the heart of the seas;

Though the waters thereof roar and foam, though the mountains shake at the swelling thereof. Selah

There is a river, the streams whereof make glad the city of God, the holiest dwelling-place of the Most High.

God is in the midst of her, she shall not be moved; God shall help her, at the approach of morning.

Nations were in tumult, kingdoms were moved; He uttered His voice, the earth melted.

HaShem of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our high tower. Selah

Come, behold the works of HaShem, who hath made desolations in the earth.

He maketh wars to cease unto the end of the earth; He breaketh the bow, and cutteth the spear in sunder; He burneth the chariots in the fire.

'Let be, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.'


Psalms 46: 2-11 | Source: Tanakh (Jewish Publication Society, 1917); read a Christian translation

HaShem Hath Done Great Things



A Song of Ascents. When HaShem brought back those that returned to Zion, we were like unto them that dream.

Then was our mouth filled with laughter, and our tongue with singing; then said they among the nations: 'The HaShem hath done great things with these.'

HaShem hath done great things with us; we are rejoiced.

Turn our captivity, O HaShem, as the streams in the dry land.

They that sow in tears shall reap in joy.

Though he goeth on his way weeping that beareth the measure of seed, he shall come home with joy, bearing his sheaves.


Psalms 126: 1-6 | Source: Tanakh (Jewish Publication Society, 1917); read a Christian translation

Incline Thine Ear, O HaShem



A Prayer of David. Incline Thine ear, O HaShem, and answer me; for I am poor and needy. Keep my soul, for I am godly; O Thou my God, save Thy servant that trusteth in Thee. Be gracious unto me, O Lord; for unto Thee do I cry all the day. Rejoice the soul of Thy servant; for unto Thee, O Lord, do I lift up my soul. For Thou, L-rd, art good, and ready to pardon, and plenteous in mercy unto all them that call upon Thee. Give ear, O HaShem, unto my prayer; and attend unto the voice of my supplications. In the day of my trouble I call upon Thee; for Thou wilt answer me.


Source: Tanakh (Jewish Publication Society, 1917); read a Christian translation

I Wait for HaShem



Out of the depths have I called Thee, O HaShem.
Lord, hearken unto my voice; let Thine ears be attentive to the voice of my supplications.
If Thou, HaShem, shouldest mark iniquities, O Lord, who could stand?
For with Thee there is forgiveness, that Thou mayest be feared.

I wait for HaShem, my soul doth wait, and in His word do I hope.
My soul waiteth for the Lord, more than watchmen for the morning; yea, more than watchmen for the morning.
O Israel, hope in HaShem; for with HaShem there is mercy, and with Him is plenteous redemption.
And He will redeem Israel from all his iniquities.


Psalms 130: 1-8 | Source: Tanakh (Jewish Publication Society, 1917); read a Christian translation

No comments: